Code of Conduct
CI Compass is dedicated to providing a welcoming and supportive environment for all people, regardless of background or identity. By participating in any activity (e.g., workshop, working group, or other), participants agree to abide by this Code of Conduct and accept the procedures by which any Code of Conduct incidents are resolved. CI Compass does not tolerate behavior that is disrespectful or that excludes, intimidates, or causes discomfort to others.
CI Compass does not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on characteristics that include but are not limited to, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, citizenship, nationality, ethnic or social origin, pregnancy, familial status, veteran status, genetic information, religion or belief (or lack thereof), membership of a national minority, property, age, education, socio-economic status, technical choices, and experience level.
Everyone who participates in activities is required to conform to this Code of Conduct. It applies to all spaces managed by or affiliated with the workshop. Workshop hosts are expected to assist with the enforcement of the Code of Conduct. By participating, participants indicate their acceptance of the procedures by which CI Compass resolves any Code of Conduct incidents.
All participants in the CI Compass activities and communications are expected to show respect and courtesy to others. All interactions should be professional regardless of platform: either online or in-person. In order to foster a positive and professional learning environment, the following kinds of behaviors in all workshop events and platforms are encouraged:
- Use welcoming and inclusive language
- Be respectful of different viewpoints and experiences
- Gracefully accept constructive criticism
- Focus on what is best for the community
- Show courtesy and respect towards other community members
Examples of unacceptable behavior by participants at any workshop event/platform include:
- Written or verbal comments which have the effect of excluding people on the basis of membership of any specific group causing someone to fear for their safety, such as through stalking, following, or intimidation
- Violent threats or language directed against another person
- Display of sexual or violent images
- Unwelcome sexual attention
- Nonconsensual or unwelcome physical contact
- Sustained disruption of talks, events, or communications
- Insults or put-downs
- Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or exclusionary jokes
- Excessive swearing
- Incitement to violence, suicide, or self-harm
- Continuing to initiate interaction (including photography or recording) with someone after being asked to stop
- Publication of private communication without consent
Consequences of Unacceptable Behavior
If you believe someone is violating the Code of Conduct, please report it to any of the workshop organizers. Participants who are asked to stop any inappropriate behavior are expected to comply immediately. If a participant engages in behavior that violates this code of conduct, the organizers may warn the offender, ask them to leave the event or platform, or investigate the Code of Conduct violation and impose appropriate sanctions.
This code of conduct is adopted from the FABRIC Community Workshop and the excellent code of conduct articulated by Software Carpentry.